- introductions, chose performing troupe name “Barrel of Rapiers”
“… about a week ago you had a particularly good show – it was out by the city’s east gate and you got a good crowd of traders and merchants as your audience – but after the show, as you were tearing down your makeshift stage, a woman approached you.
“A young woman – human, possibly still a teenager – and even though she wore a dark cloak, you were able to spot her fine boots, the fancy embroidery on her gloves, the hint of a silk skirt as she walked. A member of the nobility – certainly not the kind of person who comes to a show like yours.
“She gave her name – the Lady Miriam of noble house of Lambrick – and begged for your help. She said her fiancé was being held captive in secret by his own father – the Royal Archivist Lord Knowles – who does not approve of their engagement. But Lord Knowles will be holding a party in one week’s time, and Lady Miriam has secretly arranged for their scheduled performing troupe to be … delayed.
“And now she asks you – you of so many varied talents – to go to the party in their place and, once you have done the performance, sneak away and find, rescue her fiancé.
“After giving it some thought, you all agreed. After all – a maiden in distress? a gruff father standing in the way of true love? deception, subterfuge, and a heroic rescue? At the very least it will make great fodder for your next show. And it doesn’t hurt that Lady Miriam offered you 1000 gold pieces to do the job.
“You all made your way to the Sovereign’s Circle – the royal and noble district of the city, where everything is much fancier and cleaner than what you’re used to – and were welcomed to the party. The Knowles mansion is huge – the little theater where you usually perform could fit just in its entryway.
“You’re escorted to a long hall, where they’ve set up a small stage at one end for you. Lords and ladies mill about, sampling tasty delicacies being carried around on trays by smartly dressed servants. Music floats over the chatter, and you look for its source before realizing it’s coming from nowhere – a magical enchantment of some sort. There are silk tablecloths and real silver silverware. It’s all … a little intimidating.”
- elf servant asked to be reminded of their troupe’s name – they said Barrel of Rapiers
“Once you’ve settled, a servant goes up on the stage, and the music stops, the chatter dies down. The servant – an elf, old, with silver hair pulled back in a long ponytail – clears his throat.”
- Hildy cast spider climb on Mavoi’s wolf
- Tryvsgar threw dagger at apple on Mavoi’s head
- Tryvsgar and Gwyneira did fancy fighting
- Schwartzy tried to convince everyone he grew the wolf’s balls back
- Luzzarai did dancing lights
- after performance, escorted to “green room” in back
- received note: “New information: secret entrance in the Lord’s study; try there first. –M”
- all snuck out of room in search of study
- caught by elf servant (Folas), but Luzzarai charmed him and so he led them to the study
- searched study, discovered trick to fireplace, opened up into spiral staircase leading downward
- Gwyneira cast alarm on study door to alert them if anyone tried to follow
- down stairs, came to a long hallway
- pit trap opened up, wolf almost fell but was saved because spider climb was still active
- group cast light on a rope and tossed it down hallway to light the way
- came to library, guarded by a mechanical gargoyle-like golden eagle
- eagle demanded toll: “The toll is this: in what order were the five guilds of the city established?”
- battle ensued; some fought eagle, others searched bookshelves for answers
- answer discovered: Order of the Rusted Rose, Bronze Dragon Guild, The Searing Light, The Lancers Guild, Blades of Honour
- eagle allowed them entrance to the room beyond the library
- Theodore met them with trepidation, said his father set him down here to finish his studies
- Gwyneira’s alarm went off
- Theodore led them out of the mansion through a different route
- met up with Lady Miriam, reunited her with Theodore
- Miriam paid Barrel of Rapiers 1,000 gp
- Miriam and Theodore rode off on horseback into the night, headed north
- Barrel of Rapiers celebrated by partying in a tavern